For ASPIRE Design and Home Andrew Joseph, Contributing editor will do a weekly column #seekingthesublime with makers, architects, and interior designers.
Requirements (attached to ONE email or shared via Dropbox)
Submission Guidelines: In order to be featured we need one photo of you that is totally original and staged (IMPORTANT: not a posed headshot, a candid “at work” shot preferred) It can be you in your studio sketching or at your computer, it could be you at a job site, it could be you walking your dog or anything but a headshot that has been seen a million other times. (since this is web iPhone photos are totally acceptable) – the idea is that we are creating original content with as much original photography as possible.
We would also need 4 to 5 images of your work from your portfolio if you are a designer or work from your studio or images of your product if you are a maker.
If you have images of any items referenced in your answers – that would be great to send as well.
Here is the challenge if you wish to pursue. Please answer five or six of the questions below. Please be as creative and fun as possible, we want this to be a fresh entertaining, we don’t need a paragraph but please elaborate and contextualize on your responses so they are informed and edify.
We will also need a bio and can list any awards or accolades you wish to share, upcoming news about your firm, etc in closing statements. (500 words or less)
QUESTIONS- At least 5 well-answered questions from the list below:
1. You’re the newest Crayola color. What color are you and why?
2. If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
3. Describe your design style as if you were explaining it to someone who cannot see.
4. What makes you angry?
5. What is the last book you read?
6. What is something you hope to see trending in design in the future?
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
8. If you could guest star on any TV show -on or off air- what show would you guest star in?
9. If you could live in any home in a movie or television series, what would it be?
10. What’s a guilty pleasure you have?
11. If you weren’t a designer, you’d be a ….?
12. What’s the best thing that happened to you this month?
13. What’s your favorite cocktail?
14. What are three words to describe where you live?
15. What would you like to be remembered for?
16. What’s the weirdest thing a client has ever asked you?
17. What are your ideal weekend plans?
18. What’s one thing people don’t know about you?
19. What’s your design pet peeve?
20. What’s something you always travel with?
21. What would be the name of your debut album?
22. What was your first job?
23. Are you a good cook? If so, what’s your specialty?
24. Do you get your eight hours a night? – what is your schedule like?
25. Who is your dream date (alive or dead) and what would you do?
26. Who was the nicest person you worked for? Dare you want to share the worst?
27. How would you describe your personal style?
28. What would your dream project or dream client be right now?
29. What are you most proud of?
30. Are you a pet person? Why either way? Dogs or cats?
31. What are your beauty secrets?
32. Who do you want to write your obituary?
33. Style (or design) icon?
34. What are three things you can’t live without?
35. What’s one ingredient you put in everything?
36. What’s your biggest fear in life?
37. What’s your current TV obsession?
38. Favorite app?
39. Secret talent?
40. How would you define your work in three words
41. Favorite piece of clothing you own?
42. What might the design world look like in 10 years?
43. Must have clothing item everyone should have in their closet?
44. If you had one more hour in the day what would you do with it?
45. What’s inspiring you in life (in the industry) right now?
46. Best advice you’d give your teenage self?
47. A book that everyone should read?
48. What are some of the podcasts you listen to and why?
49. What would you like to be remembered for?
50. How do you define beauty?
51. Favorite tea to decompress, and in what mug?
52. What are three binge-worthy TV shows/Movies that you’ve been watching?
53.What’s your best excuse for skipping a zoom call to watch TV?
54. What’s your go-to snack between zooms?
55. What do you find yourself daydreaming about most these days?
56. What about your design style has shifted post-quarantine?
57. Which room in the house do you find yourself working from the most? Why? How does this inform your thoughts about architecture?
58.Has your mindset changed into 2021? In what ways?
59. Has there been a shift in what clients are requesting post-covid?
60. Where is the first place you want to travel now that everything is opening up?
61. What’s a new hobby/skill that you have learned recently?
More successful articlesLess successful articles